Keep calm and carry … a gorgeous investment bag!
An investment bag can instantly upgrade your wardrobe and style. The quality of the bag on your arm can transform your outfit, your confidence, and even your wallet!
What is an “investment bag?”
- A high-quality luxury bag, often with a higher price tag
- A designer bag that appreciates in value over time
These definitions are basically one in the same. A high-quality bag that you love and treat well is destined to appreciate in value.
Every girl needs an investment bag that she can whip out to feel instantly powerful and sexy—and one that will add even more value to her wardrobe.
So let’s start investing with fashion! Enjoy this write up on How To Select The Perfect Investment Bag!
Is this an investment bag?
How do you know if the bag you’re buying is worth the investment?
A high price point doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good investment for your wardrobe wallet. An “investment” means you’re putting money in expecting a return in the future—whether that’s a financial return or the return of long use and wear. You know that piece will only increase in value over time.
What should you be looking for when you make a purchase in an investment bag?
- Timeless: You don’t want to invest in a bag that’s going to be out of fashion next season or next year. You want something that is likely to stand the test of time. “Vintage” pieces are those that are worth money in the future because they’re still as beautiful and usable ten, twenty, even fifty years after they were originally created.
- Quality: A high-quality bag is more likely to last than a “fast fashion” one. This means it’s made of a durable material with sturdy hardware. Often, it’s handcrafted as opposed to outsourced for production.
- Personality: You don’t want to buy a bag that you don’t like! You want it to match your own style so you can actually use it in your everyday life. Not sure what your style is? Take a look at the bags you already own, especially the one you use most frequently. See any style patterns? Go with what you know and love, but at a greater value!
- Practicality: A good bag should be usable. You might not want to throw in your used tissues and melting chocolate into an investment bag, but you still want to be able to flaunt it out and about every once in a while.
- Color: Neutral colors tend to be more practical long-term, because other colors will go in and out of fashion with the seasons. However, in some cases, you might want to buy a seasonal color if there is a solid fan base for that designer. Some designer fans will know exactly which season a print or color is from, which demonstrates the agelessness of the bag.
- Budget: There are different “levels” of investment based on cost. We’ll give you a range below based on how much you’re willing and able to spend. Keep in mind that you can find incredible steals on designer handbags when you shop secondhand for pre-loved investments!
Those are the foundational ways to pick a high-quality luxury bag for your closet. But how do you know if it’s a true investment? How do you know if you’ll get your money’s worth and actually make money on it in the future?
There are three questions to ask to determine an investment piece:
- How long has the designer been producing that bag? If it’s produced ongoing for a minimum of five years, it’s withstanding trends and proving to be a more classic piece. If the style left after a season or two, it’s probably not going to end up as a “classic.”
- Are the prices trending upwards? Look at the price direct from the designer over time. Does the bag cost more today than it was the first year it was produced? Is it worth more today than last year? You want the value of the bag to be steadily increasing because this means the company is seeing a lot of traction with the piece.
- Is it performing well on the secondhand market? Are women able to resell these bags easily and at a high price point? You want to see if these bags are actually selling pre-loved, but you don’t want to see a high number of these bags on consignment either (because this means there’s more supply than demand, which doesn’t bode well for investment). If there
aren’ta lot on secondhand, it might also be because they’re snatched up so quickly!
Below I go through the “trinity” of investment bags as well as my bonus investment fave.
1. Hermès Birkin
The Birkin bag is—and likely always will be—one of the most sought-after handbags. A purse that first began as a mother’s shopping bag has since taken the world by storm. Since its inception in 1984, it’s seen a few changes to the style and shape—but these purses are still as timeless and elegant as they have always been. From the
The Birkin bag isn’t without its cost. The retail price ranges from $9,000 to $150,000—and the world’s most expensive bag was a Himalayan crocodile Birkin with white gold detailing and 245 diamonds that sold for $300,168.
People aren’t spending this kind of money just to have a pretty bag to carry around. They’re spending because they see the true value in the material. In fact, Hermès and Chanel bags have outperformed the American stock and gold markets in the past decade.
And it’s not just the cost that makes this bag a catch. In order to get your hands on an Hermès Birkin bag, you need to have a relationship with the brand. Rumors have it that you need to spend a certain amount in-store and have a longstanding relationship with your Hermès salesperson in order to even get your hands on one!
The Hermès Kelly bag is a close second for high-end investment purchases. Made famous by Grace Kelly, this saddle bag is a smaller relative to the look and feel of the Birkin—but it’s been around since 1930! Each year, it has a new design and style, and it’s become one of the most sought-after “timeless trend” pieces on the market.
(I’m not telling you that you need a Birkin bag. I’m showing you what a little quality, branding, and investment can do!)
2. Chanel Classic
“The best things in life are free, the second best are very expensive.” – Coco Chanel
Chanel is one of the most timeless designers in the world. Owning any sort of Chanel instantly upgrades your closet. The Chanel Classic/Timeless handbags are the most popular pieces. The basic look of the Classic remains consistent, and you’ll often see it in black lambskin or calfskin with gold or silver-tone hardware.
Still, Chanel will make these bags in a variety of prints and colors each season—like this season, we’re seeing a lot of spring-print tweed! Avid Chanel fans will be able to look at a Classic and know exactly which year and season it’s from—because the bags (and fans) just that enduring! This “season recognition” means you can even indulge in a seasonal trend color for your investment bag, and you’ll still get your money’s worth years down the line.
Tip: Chanel Caviar is considered the most classic—and durable—style year after year. Caviar can be hard to come by, because Chanel only makes a set number each year. You may have to go on a waiting list to get your hands on a quilted Chanel Caviar!
Another investment? Buy Chanel clothes. Not only are they high quality and fit beautifully, but they’re one of the only brands of clothing that will still appreciate (not depreciate) in value over time and with gentle use!
3. Louis Vuitton Speedy
Rounding out the holy trinity of investment bags is Hermès and Chanel’s colleague: Louis Vuitton. This bag is a classic go-to because it’s high-end luxury but still casual enough for everyday use. Plus, it’s practically flexible—from handbag to shoulder bag in a breeze.
Louis Vuitton Speedy bags are easier to find secondhand than Hermès and Chanel, but they’re still on the rarer side. When they do come up on resale, they fly off the shelves quickly. At the time of writing, Current Boutique has one Speedy for about $525 and another for about $685—which is a
Like the Birkin, LV fans will be able to tell you what season or year each Speedy is from. Different colors, patterns, and variations swing with the trends while remaining timeless for years to come. This is great because you can get an investment bag that suits your personal style, while remaining secure in the knowledge that the trendy look will continue to appreciate in value. Or you could go for the classic Speedy with the statement LV patterns that never risk going out of style.
(I recommend avoiding the monogram option, because it makes it significantly harder to resell. Most consignment shops and resellers won’t accept monogram handbags.)
4. Celine Classic
Celine is a newer designer on the market, but it’s quickly proving to be a timeless classic. From the Celine classic to their structured shoulder bags, Celine bags have a gorgeous design that never goes out of style.
What I love most about Celine is the feminine touch. It’s effortlessly simple— from the quality leather to the polished hardware—which means it will withstand the test of time. The level of elegance that Celine exudes makes it one of our favorite types of investments. I anticipate these bags will only continue to appreciate in value as more and more women are longing to carry a Celine on their arm.
“Never forget that what becomes timeless was once truly new.” – Nicolas Ghesquière, Louis Vuitton
That’s right! Any bag can be an investment bag. I’ve listed some of the classic bags that are known to increase in investment cost over the years. But I’ll let you in on a little secret…
Most designer bags appreciate in value! Luxury never goes out of style. If you take care of your bags, you’ll be able to resell them at any point.
Just make sure your bags meet the following requirements:
- Timeless, not trendy
- Quality, not cheap
- Cared for, not mishandled
Do you have an investment bag you cherish?
If nothing comes to mind instantly, then you don’t have an investment bag! I think it’s time for you to treat yourself to something luxuriously beautiful… and something that will instantly upgrade the value of your wardrobe!
Check out our designer bags here to find the perfect investment bag that will fit your style and budget!